ICEL EU Civil Litigation Update
The ICEL held a conference which examined a number of important issues in civil litigation of interest to all practitioners. It focussed on the role of the Charter generally and in commercial litigation and updated practitioners on competition law and jurisdictional issues.
Thursday 10th March 16:30 – 19:30 (Registration 16:00)
DDRC, Distillery Building
Speakers, topics and chairs
- Chair of the first session: The Hon. Mr. Justice Liam McKechnie, Supreme Court, Dublin
- Chair of the second session: The Hon. Mr. Justice Max Barrett, High Court, Dublin
- Noel Travers SC – Recent Developments in Choice of Jurisdiction and Choice of Law in Civil Litigation: Brussels 1 and Brussels 2 Regulations, Rome 1 and 2 Regulations and the Insolvency Regulations.
- Dr Suzanne Kingston BL – The Charter of Fundamental Rights in Irish litigation. The scope of application of the Charter and where has it had the most impact in Irish litigation.
- Dr Vincent Power, A&L Goodbody – An overview of recent developments in Irish and European Competition Law.
- Robert O’Donoghue BL, Brick Court Chambers, London – The use of the Charter in commercial litigation and recent developments in English competition litigation, including the impact of the EU Damages Directive.
P.O. v Min for Justice  IESC 64
Min for Justice v O’Connor  IECA 227
AIB Plc v Aqua Fresh Fish Limited  IEHC 184
T.D. v Min for Justice  IESC 29,
M.M. v Min for Justice  IEHC 9
H.N. v Min for Justice  IESC 58
Case C-310/14 Nike European Operations C-302/13 Lithuanian Airlines
Case C-605/14 Komu
Celtic Atlantic Salmond v Aller Acqua  IEHC 421
Case C-322/14 Jaouad El Majdoub
Joined Cases C-359 & C-475/14 ERGO
Case C-594/14 Kornhaas